How Money A+E are providing support during the Covid-19 crisis

Updated: Jun 1


The Coronavirus crisis has meant living with new levels of worry and uncertainty for all of us. At Money A+E, our debt and benefits Advice service is in more demand than ever before. The financial effects of the lockdown have hit the communities that we support especially hard.


Many of our clients were already struggling with debt pre-crisis or have little to no savings to fall back on. We are extremely concerned to be seeing the current situation disproportionately affect those who were already the most vulnerable and least able to absorb a financial shock.


Money A+E is offering crisis grants to cover emergency household costs or utility bill payments. Demand is high, and we are trying to raise £20,000 so that we can continue to offer grants to everyone who needs them.

Many have been left unable to work due to the lockdown restrictions, or have been let go from their employment rather than furloughed. This is especially common among those who were on zero hours contracts or in precarious employment to begin with.


Our Adviser Jeredine in action (taken pre-crisis)

Money A+E is offering crisis grants to cover emergency household costs or utility bill payments. Demand is high, and we are trying to raise £20,000 so that we can continue to offer grants to everyone who needs them.


The Advice team is helping our clients to seek arrangements with creditors or landlords, and are handling many cases where tenants have been threatened with eviction.


They are also supporting with making new claims for Universal Credit, as well as for the advance payments and loans that can help cover the five-week wait for first payment of the benefit. These application processes are complex, and many are navigating them for the first time.


This is a worrying time for our clients and staff, but we are proud to be providing a frontline service and making a difference to those who might otherwise face destitution. We have faith that we will weather this storm if we continue to support one another.

Due to the sheer volume of Universal Credit claims being made – reportedly around 1 million nationally at the time of writing - we are deeply concerned about the speed with which they may be processed.


Prior to the Covid-19 crisis, we typically saw around 80% of claims resulting in payment within the ‘normal’ five-week wait period. The remaining 20% would take longer than this. We are now closely monitoring the progress of our clients’ claims and the news around these trends.


Donate to our fundraiser



Finally – but by no means least – we are offering support to our Advisors themselves. They are going above and beyond to support our clients, and their mental and physical health are our absolute priority.


This is a worrying time for our clients and staff, but we are proud to be providing a frontline service and making a difference to those who might otherwise face destitution. We have faith that we will weather this storm if we continue to support each other.



About Money A+E

Money A+E is an award winning social enterprise that provides money advice & educational services to 

BAME (Black, Asian, 

minority ethnic) 

disadvantaged 

communities. This is achieved through 1-to-1 advice, workshops, mentoring programmes and bespoke training.  

Feel in control of your money.

Sign up to our newsletter for more money advice and info about our services.

Support our Appeal

love, peace, and joy.png

Help us to provide crisis grants for emergency household costs, and one-to-one debt and benefits advice to the most vulnerable in our communities.